Ooops...There Goes My Mind...(my other blog)

Monday, February 4, 2013

Erin's Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken

1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
2 tsp kosher salt (or if you like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another tsp.)
1 tsp paprika
1tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

Directions
1. I used a 6 quart crockpot for a 5 pound bird. It fit nicely.

2. Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity. This takes a while and is gross. Keep the small chicken away from you so that you don't freak out about salmonella. I skin the whole chicken because I hate the idea of the idea of the chicken fat swimming all day in the crock...it also looks disgusting when the chicken is cooked because it's all skinny and icky.
 I get it that I am weird. If chicken skin makes you happy, then by all means, ignore me.

3. In a bowl, combine all of the dried spices. Rub the spices mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Plop the bird breast first down into the crockpot.

4. If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird. 

5. Do not add water.

6. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached the desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment